6.24.2009

Blarrg Review: Ghostbusters: The Video Game

Photobucket

Yeah yeah, I know. I promised to review inFamous this week, but I got side tracked when I picked up Ghostbusters: The Video Game (the 360 version, for those who are curious). Now, before I begin my review, I will confess that I am a pretty die-hard Ghostbusters fan. My childhood VHS copy was played so many times that it literally melted in the VCR. That being said, I’ll try to keep my review as unbiased as possible. Here goes.

What Works:

Turns out, busting really does make one feel good. Developer Terminal Reality has really done an amazing job capturing the look and feel of the movies, making Ghostbusting feel just as awesome as we all hoped it would be when we were kids. Combat is exciting and manages to stay fresh from fight to fight. Even things that you do in every fight (laying out ecto-traps, wrangling ghosts, etc) is well implemented and fun to boot. This could be due to the fact that the game is a tad on the short side, I finished in just under eight hours, but that isn’t necessarily a detriment. The pacing is just about perfect, and it ends before the game play presents an opportunity to get old. The online multiplayer modes really up the replay value offering a handful of challenges that fit in well with the Ghostbusters universe, and are a blast to play with a few friends.

The presentation is also striking. Each level presents at least one or two awesome set pieces (a haunted hotel, a library that shifts across dimensions) and a gaggle of ghosts to grab or garrote. Furthermore, the game is funny. Harold Ramis and Dan Akroyd wrote the script, and it shows. The Ghostbusters are as funny as ever and well represented within the game. Character models are detailed, and lighting effects, are usually impressive.

What Doesn’t Work:

Despite the comedic script, the story falls a little flat (including *SPOILERS* one of the weakest endings I’ve seen in a game in some time) and has some plot holes the size of Texas. Yes the character models are nice, but some of the environments are sparse, and leave quite a bit to be desired. And while the combat is supposed to be frantic (nice shootin’ tex) there are a couple of moments that are downright frustrating thanks to some off screen assailants and a total lack of a radar system.

Bottom Line:

Ghostbusters is a good game, not a great game. It’s a major step in the right direction toward what a licensed game should be. Certain parts of the game are unbelievably well thought out and fun, but there are some glaring flaws that can’t be ignored. Overall I give it a 7.0, add a point if you’re a Ghostbusters fan, if not, rent it first.

1 comment:

  1. From what I've heard of the story I like that it tries to go back to the first movie a bit. And apparently the game is going to be the bridge for the third film theyre making. Also, my hands down favorite moment from the twenty minutes Ive played of Ghostbusters was slam dunking a ghost into the trap. SO BAD ASS.

    ReplyDelete